Thursday, September 6, 2012

Life is Just a Bowl of Coopla Cherries

When we arrived in Romania 17 months ago we were determined to learn the language.  We learned how to say "multumesc" (I thank you) and "multumim" (we thank you) very quickly.  Often when we said "thank you" to people who served us in some way, they would say "coopla cherrie" back to us.  I looked in all our dictionaries and could not find that phrase anywhere.  I finally swallowed my pride and asked one of our YSA what "coopla cherrie" meant.  Five minutes later when he finally stopped laughing he told me it was "cu placere" (with pleasure). It wasn't long after that when we  gave up on the language.  We learned enough to get around, go shopping, greet people and understand a little of the talks in church.  We've discovered that we are still able to communicate our love of the people here and our love for the Savior and His gospel.

 
But as long as we are on the subject of "cherries" let me tell you how wonderful Romanian cherries are.  The cherry season here only lasts a week or two but we all eat as many as we can during that time.


No comments:

Post a Comment