Friday, December 16, 2011

Someone Is Walking on My Sunshine.....or My Shoes are On a Three Year Mission, but I'm Not!

Upon arriving in Bucharest we were taken to the Mission Home where we were given a folder with good information for missionaries to know.  One full page was devoted to ingrown toenails.  I have never had an ingrown toenail in my life and have done lots of walking so I ignored those instructions.  The shoes I brought with me were chosen carefully and I loved them.  However, it became evident rather quickly they were not up to the task.  Within just a few weeks I had my first ever ingrown toenail.  Is this in the category of TMI?  Sorry, but I continue.  We found a Skecher store where there was a beautiful pair of shoes just calling out to me and my painful toe.  After putting them on I danced around and said "this is like walking on sunshine!"  We walk a lot here and about two weeks later my left ankle just collapsed.  It was freaky.  My ankle was on the ground.  Brent had to practically carry me home.  We immediately contacted our own personal orthopedic surgeon (Dr. Marc) who perscribed rest and an ankle brace.  After a few weeks my ankle seemed to be strong again so I put my lovely new shoes back on and went for a walk.  Sad to say the ankle did not cooperate.  So I boxed the shoes up and gave them to Sora Patton, our office missionary and told her to help the shoes find a good home.  Several days later our new mission president's wife, Sora Hill, came limping into a staff meeting complaining that the shoes she brought to Romania were hurting her feet.  Sora Patton happily gave her my shoes and now her feet are happy. And she looks great in them!

 I have gone back over the ingrown toenail instructions and follow them faithfully!

And speaking of Sora Hill......

Here we are helping with breakfast for a zone leaders conference.  I think Elder Wahlquist looks smashing in his apron.  And believe me, it gets lots of use.


No comments:

Post a Comment